Important update about the Canada Emergency Student Benefit
Post-secondary students are facing unprecedented challenges as they work to complete their studies and find summer jobs in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
As part of the COVID-19 Economic Response Plan, the Government of Canada is providing direct support to students and recent graduates who are facing a very different job market this summer through the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB). Applications for this benefit will begin on Friday, May 15, 2020.
The CESB provides temporary income support to eligible students who are unable to work or find work this summer due to COVID-19, or are working and are not making over $1000.
The benefit will provide $1,250 every four weeks to eligible students, or $2,000 every four weeks to eligible students with disabilities, or those with children or other dependents.
The CESB will be available from May to August 2020 to students who:
- are enrolled in a post-secondary education program leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate
- ended their studies no earlier than December 2019
- are recent high school graduates starting a program in the coming months
If you are able to work, you must be actively looking for a job to be eligible to receive the CESB. Registering with JobBank.gc.ca is a way for students to find available job opportunities.
It will be delivered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) through the same application process that delivered the Canada Emergency Relief Benefit (CERB) payments.
Starting on May 15, 2020, eligible students will be able to apply for the CESB online through their CRA My Account or by phone through CRA’s automated toll-free line. To help manage the volume of applications, applicants will be asked to apply over four days depending on their month of birth, and can expect their payment in three business days from when they are deemed eligible if they are using direct deposit.
To get ready to apply, the CRA is encouraging eligible students to:
- Create a profile with the CRA by calling 1-800-959-8281 (for students who have never filed a tax return)
- Register for a CRA My Account as it is the fastest and easiest way to complete an application
- Enroll in Direct Deposit to have CESB payments deposited directly into their bank accounts. Financial institutions across the country are also allowing Canadians to sign up for CRA Direct Deposit through their bank portals in a few easy steps.
Learn more: Canada Emergency Student Benefit application period to launch on May 15, 2020