Housing Equalization and Administration Assistant31 Aug 2018
Housing Equalization and Administration Assistant
The Musqueam people have lived in our present location for thousands of years. Our traditional territory once occupied much of what is now Vancouver and surrounding areas. The name Musqueam relates back to the River Grass, the name of the grass is məθkʷəy̓. There is a story that has been passed on from generation to generation that explains how we became known as the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) – People of the River Grass. Although a metropolitan city has developed in the heart of Musqueam territory, our community maintains strong cultural and traditional beliefs. Today our population flourishes and we are a strong community of over thousand members. To learn more about Musqueam, please visit www.musqueam.bc.ca.
Musqueam Indian Band (Musqueam) is seeking a Housing Equalization and Administration Assistant.
Reporting to the Housing Manager, the Housing Equalization and Administration Assistant (HEAA) assists in the administration of the Housing Program at the Musqueam Indian Band. The HEAA administers goods and services contracts required to maintain MIB-owned housing and ensures quality products and services are being provided to the Musqueam Indian Band members. This position also provides day-to-day field supervision of the Housing Program activities and is in charge of maintaining tenant relations.
- Greet clients and visitors and direct them to the appropriate contacts or services
- Answer, screen and forward telephone calls, takes messages and assist clients and visitors as required
- Process Equalization Program Repair requests; conduct research, answer questions and provide information regarding the Equalization Program to the Musqueam Indian Band members
- Maintain and administer Musqueam Equalization Program and replacement reserve fund
- Resolve administrative concerns by coordinating preparation of reports, analyzing data, and identifying solutions
- In collaboration with the Housing Executive Assistant (HEA), ensure that data entry for Asset Management is complete and up-to-date
- Ensure home inspections take place with proper notice and that all contractors have set times to conduct work
- Ensure work orders and maintenance requests are processed and executed
- Assist maintenance with documentation on summary forms and ensure that work orders have been closed
- Prepare notes and documents for LCH Standing Committee meetings in collaboration with the HEA
- Maintain positive and effective relationships with homeowners, vendors and contractors
- Meet with homeowners regarding rent arrears
- Participate in project management with Housing Team
- Process outgoing and incoming letters and correspondences
- Participate in policy and program development of the Musqueam Housing Department
- File and process approved document templates to the master document binder
- Update and maintain housing rent and equalization spreadsheet
- Oversee front desk coverage for Housing Department
- Ensure compliance of 7-step eviction process
- Provide Housing Manager with supporting by-laws when applicable
· Perform related duties as required
Qualification and Skills
- High school diploma, with courses in business/ office management and/or construction/building maintenance trades; or an equivalent combination of skill, knowledge, and experience;
- Training and/or experience in office management, including finance and computer skills
- Familiarity with housing construction methods and materials
- Knowledge and experience of similar program delivery in the context of Musqueam or First Nations culture is an asset
- Ability to use tact and good judgment in dealing with sensitive and complex issues;
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality
- Familiarity and experience with workplace technology, i.e. computers, Microsoft Office, communications equipment, business software
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality
- Work is performed in an office environment and periodically in the community
- Some evenings and weekends may be required
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s license
- Successful Criminal Record Check
Please email cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
and reference “Housing Equalization and Administration Assistant” in the subject line.
Applicants of Musqueam and/or Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.
* We thank all those who apply, however, only those short-listed will be contacted.