The Musqueam people have lived in our present location for thousands of years. Our traditional territory once occupied much of what is now Vancouver and surrounding areas. The name Musqueam relates back to the flowering plant, məθkʷəy̓, which grows in the Fraser River estuary. There is a story that has been passed on from generation to generation that explains how we became known as the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) – People of the məθkʷəy̓ plant. Although a metropolitan city has developed in the heart of Musqueam territory, our community maintains strong cultural and traditional beliefs. Today our population flourishes and we are a strong community of over thousand members. To learn more about Musqueam, please visit www.musqueam.bc.ca.
Under the direction of the Musqueam Housing Manager and the Housing Supervisor, the Maintenance Serviceman is responsible for providing technical, maintenance and administrative services related to the on-reserve portfolio. Responsibilities include ensuring timely, effective assessment and repair of Musqueam on-reserve housing as directed by the Maintenance Supervisor and as needed in the completion of assigned duties. This position also includes responsibility for applying standards of maintenance, maintaining efficient stock and inventory control, and establishing protocols for good data and records management.
Maintenance Serviceman Duties would include:
- Acts as a maintenance resource to Musqueam staff, housing tenants and external service
- Conducts regular inspection of buildings and grounds to determine maintenance and capital renewal priorities;
- Ensures that building and maintenance repairs conform with Musqueam policy for compliance with Federal, Provincial and Municipal codes and regulations;
- Diagnoses and completes corrective minor maintenance to on-reserve carpentry, structural, heating, plumbing, electrical, drainage and landscaping problems and initiates repairs, replacements and improvements as necessary;
- Complete Demand based Service Requests for routine maintenance items needed on housing properties (such as repairing roof leaks and flashing, cleaning gutters, replacing locks, railings, window and door repairs, HVAC repairs etc.); completes reports and paperwork, as required;
- Complete Preventive Maintenance (PM) Service Requests as assigned; completes reports and paperwork, as required;
- Maintains inventory control of tools, materials and equipment owned by Musqueam Indian Band for use in the performance of all maintenance and repair duties; requisitions necessary materials, equipment and tools as required;
- Conduct operation of all Musqueam major tools, equipment and vehicles in a safe manner
- Assure the integrity of the master key system throughout the Musqueam reserve by monitoring lock security systems and procedures;
- Completes regular fire and safety inspections throughout the Musqueam residential portfolio and provides reports to the appropriate committee;
- Organizes and monitors housing unit maintenance records and construction profile records;
- Monitors after hours emergency maintenance service and must be available to provide guidance / support for emergency call-outs as required;
- Recommends tenant charge-backs for damages caused by abuse or neglect;
- Recommends and implements approved energy conservation & sustainability procedures or modifications;
- Carries out electrical, plumbing and carpentry repairs and maintenance as needed – items to include HVAC items, repair/replace ballasts, fans, breakers and electrical fixtures, repair/replace plumbing fixtures, water lines and piping; repair gyproc walls and repair rollers on sliding doors and windows;
- Carries out exterior repairs such as repairing roof leaks and flashing, cleaning gutters, replacing locks, railings, window and door closers and weather stripping;
- Authorizes purchase of materials for maintenance / repair projects;
- Recommends improved administrative, maintenance and capital planning procedures to enhance the team concept in the delivery of services throughout the reserve;
- Recognizes events or circumstances of any nature that are sensitive to Musqueam public or resident opinion, and keeps the Housing Manager informed and recommends appropriate action to resolve problems;
- May be assigned to perform the role of Fire Safety Officer for any properties under Musqueam management and control as required under local and provincial regulations;
- Attends technical forums and seminars to maintain a good knowledge of current industry practice.
- Data Asset Management system-able to input information to the service request generated by the Data Asset Management System. Reviews all Service Requests, makes recommendations based on assessment.
- Staffing Criteria
Journeyman accreditation in a relevant trade discipline or a diploma from a minimum 2-year Building, Engineering or Architectural Technology Program or an equivalent combination education, training and experience acceptable to the Musqueam organization.
Skills Competence and Attributes
- Personal Effectiveness
- Results Oriented
- Service Oriented
- demonstrated critical thinking skills;
- demonstrated ability to exercise good judgement and proper decision making skills;
- creative thinking and innovation skills; has demonstrated initiative carrying out roles;
- excellent organizational skills;
- good knowledge of the applicable Building Codes and regulations;
- ability to read and critique construction drawings and building assessment reports;
- a good understanding of internal Musqueam approval procedures;