Reporting to the Office Supervisor, the Band Secretary is responsible for providing a full secretarial service to the Band Council. The Secretary records and produces the minutes of Council meetings, General Band Meetings, Shareholders meetings, and other meetings as required. The Secretary ensures that the Band Council is provided with all related documentation required in their meetings by assembling a Council Meeting Kit and is responsible for distribution of their motions and decisions. The Secretary is also responsible for the development and maintenance of a tracking system to provide easy access to Council motions and decisions. The Secretary also coordinates any necessary travel arrangements for Band Council and the assembly of briefing materials and travel itinerary for Council travel.
- Prepares and ensures appropriate agenda items, information, and Council kits are ready, complete, and available for respective meetings. For weekly Council meetings this is on the Friday prior to the Monday meeting for approval of notes by Band Manager). Ensures the availability of any necessary equipment for the meeting.
- Coordinates the attendance of the appropriate Council members for special or extraordinary meetings. Establishes that a quorum will be present, or advises of meeting cancellation or postponement.
- Maintains up to date database of recipient of meetings and extraordinary meetings.
- Records, transcribes types, distributes, and tracks minutes, motions, and council or General Band decisions. Take minutes at weekly meetings held on a weekday evening and in extraordinary weekend meetings. Records decisions, capable of giving insight into why decisions were made, and ensuring non present Chief and Council are familiar with decisions in meetings.
- Drafts and writes letters and reports when called upon.
- Ensures minutes are accurate and dispatch final working draft of the minutes to the following weekly meeting, and 4 weeks after General Band Meetings and extraordinary retreats.
- Finalizes any amendments to the Council minutes, once passed by Council, by making any changes and then creating and completing a meeting folder both hardcopy and electronic that includes the final minutes and all meeting materials both pre and post meeting.
- Ensures that all materials and preparations are made for Council meetings both regular, special, and weekend; and, all preparations for Council Retreats (materials, travel arrangements, meals, refreshments, etc.)
- Assists Council by making necessary Band related travel arrangements.
- Prepares and distributes isolated motions for the Band Manager and program heads for the management meeting and their follow up action.
- Maintain calendar of important dates for the Band. Arrange agenda; coffee/food for meetings.
- Maintain the Chief’s calendar/schedule.
- Help organize special events for Chief and Council.
- Ensure all files are confidential, in a safe place, and in order. Responsible for the hard copy and electronic copy of all Council materials and minutes including Council meetings, Special Community Meetings, General Band Meetings etc.; and all correspondence related to Council business.
- Maintain confidentiality and comply with data protection in respect of databases of recipients of minutes.
- Distributes the finalized minute’s weekly, to those Band Members and other distribution lists as may be developed from time to time, and to the Member section of the Band’s web site.
- Liaise with Executive Assistant regarding amendments.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with Council, Band Manager, colleagues and the Band membership; works closely with the Executive Assistant to the Band Manager.
- Perform related duties for Band community meetings as required.
- Ensure full supplies for all correspondence and minutes to the Chief and Council and executives at all times.
- Other duties as required.
Job Knowledge and Abilities:
- Skill and knowledge usually attained by successful completion of High School and courses and post-secondary training and certification in Business Administration, legal secretarial, or journalism and /or advanced Secretarial Courses combined with at 3-5 years in a First Nations or similar administration office in a secretarial role to senior administrative manager or elected Council; or an equivalent combination of skill, knowledge, and experience.
- Ability to take minutes, type minimum 60 wpm, audio typing.
- Expertise software applications and equipment related to the position (Microsoft Office, advanced copy machine operation, digital recording equipment, smart boards, etc.)
- Knowledge of Roberts Rules of Order in order to advise management and Council.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization, from community members to senior business leaders. This includes a pleasant, professional and assertive communication manner.
- Knowledge and experience of similar program delivery in the context of Musqueam or First Nations culture and history.
- Is self-directed with the ability to meet deadlines, as well as to prioritize under tight deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills and is detailed oriented.
- Ability to understand and describe complex governance and business issues.
- Ability to use tact and good judgement in dealing with sensitive and complex issues.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to drive and provide a licensed vehicle for work purposes.
- Work is performed in an office environment.
- Attendance is mandatory at all Chief & Council weekly evening meetings and off site weekend quarterly retreats
- Valid Driver’s License
- Successful Criminal Record Check
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to HR at: [email protected] Please note “Band Secretary” on the subject line.
Applicants of Musqueam and/or Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants for applying; however, only those short-listed will be contacted.