The Musqueam people have lived in our present location for thousands of years. Our traditional territory once occupied much of what is now Vancouver and surrounding areas. The name Musqueam relates back to the River Grass, the name of the grass is məθkʷəy̓. There is a story that has been passed on from generation to generation that explains how we became known as the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) – People of the River Grass. Although a metropolitan city has developed in the heart of Musqueam territory, our community maintains strong cultural and traditional beliefs. Today our population flourishes and we are a strong community of over thousand members. To learn more about Musqueam, please visit www.musqueam.bc.ca.
Musqueam Indian Band (Musqueam) is seeking an Environmental Monitor. Reporting to the Environmental Stewardship Coordinator, the Environmental Monitor carries out environmental plans where construction is occurring, including reviewing plans for managing environmental risks, monitoring worksites to make sure plans are followed, and organizing, tracking, and reporting on monitoring findings and activities.
- Reviewing reports about environmental issues for a specific site
- Collecting samples (water, soil, air)
- Monitoring erosion and sediments
- Ensuring proper cleanup of contaminants (e.g. fuel)
- Recording observations from samples and sites accurately
- Creating reports based on sampling and observation records
- Reading maps and plans to navigate varied work sites
- Identifying and locating environmental features of work sites
- Reporting on monitoring activities
- Assisting with the operation and maintenance of equipment, including laboratory, field, and monitoring equipment
- Communicating effectively with project team members
Job Knowledge and Skills
The work requires the following knowledge, skill and/or abilities:
- Reading maps
- Navigating variable terrain
- Problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, with particular attention to detail and accuracy of field notes
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience in an office and field work environment
- Knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Awareness of health and safety issues and a safety conscious attitude
- A positive and enthusiastic attitude, willingness to learn and the ability to work with little supervision
- Technical diploma and/or one year of experience in an environmental occupation directly related to construction monitoring, or a similar combination of training and experience
- Level 1 First Aid considered an asset
- Cultural competency and knowledge of the MIB’s cultural traditions
- Work is performed in an office environment (planning, reporting) and offsite at assigned worksites (monitoring activities)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Successful Criminal Record Check
Please email cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
and reference “Environmental Monitor” in the subject line.
Applicants of Musqueam and/or Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply.
Please self-identify when applying.
Position will remain open until filled.
* We thank all those who apply, however, only those short-listed will be contacted.