Emergency Response Coordinator
Full-time 1-Year Term
(Dependent on Funding)
The Musqueam people have lived in our present location for thousands of years. Our traditional territory once occupied much of what is now Vancouver and surrounding areas. The name Musqueam relates back to the River Grass, the name of the grass is məθkʷəy̓. There is a story that has been passed on from generation to generation that explains how we became known as the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) – People of the River Grass. Although a metropolitan city has developed in the heart of Musqueam territory, our community maintains strong cultural and traditional beliefs. Today our population flourishes and we are a strong community of over thousand members. To learn more about Musqueam, please visit www.musqueam.bc.ca.
Musqueam Indian Band (Musqueam) is seeking an Emergency Response Coordinator. This position supports the preparation, development and maintenance of emergency preparedness documents and programs that have been established by Musqueam to respond to incidents affecting the operations of the organization and the Musqueam community. The Emergency Response Coordinator reports to the Fisheries Manager.
- Collaborate with various departments and external agencies/institutions to provide emergency management support to the organization and the Musqueam community
- Develop and implement plans, procedures and protocols to maintain community awareness regarding emergency preparedness
- Assist in the development and implementation of plans and strategic and operational procedures and protocols for emergency management functions
- Identify, coordinate and prepare emergency management staff for responder roles including staffing teams
- Conduct quality assurance, data analysis and develop applicable maps in support of daily and response operations
- Review incident action plans and provide input and ongoing evaluation on emergency management goals and objectives
- Support development and implementation of emergency management systems and ensure that they comply to applicable government and Musqueam regulations
- Create incident management reports, including organizational charts and job action sheets
- Coordinate the logistics of disaster response or crises management activities including evacuations, and implement special needs programs and plans
- Develop and maintain effective liaison with federal, provincial and municipal departments to facilitate emergency plan development and response effort coordination
- Perform tests and evaluations on currently implemented emergency management plans in accordance to applicable regulations
- Inspect facilities and equipment used in emergency management operations to ensure that they are working properly
- Develop and circulate instructional materials to educate and inform Musqueam staff and the community about potential threats and ways of dealing with them
- Other related duties as required
Qualifications and Skills
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree in Emergency Management and/or minimum 2-3 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent technical written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate well with a wide variety of audiences
- Organizational skills with the ability to coordinate with multiple departments and agencies
- Background in developing and implementing plans, operational procedures and protocols to enact emergency management procedures
- Demonstrated ability to judge response capability limitations and propose tactics for coordinated response activities
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to use tact and good judgment in dealing with sensitive and complex issues
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment as well independently with limited supervision
- Highly detail-oriented with the ability to handle multiple priorities and complete tasks/projects in accordance with stated deadlines
- Knowledge and experience of similar program delivery in the context of Musqueam or First Nations culture and history is preferred
- Cultural competency and knowledge of First Nation cultural traditions
- Advanced skills in MS Office software, Adobe Acrobat; STATA, R or similar statistics/data analysis software
- A valid driver’s license & vehicle.
- Work is generally performed in an office environment
- Some evenings and weekends may be required
- Successful criminal background check
Please email cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
and reference “Emergency Response Coordinator” in the subject line.
Applicants of Musqueam and/or Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.
* We thank all those who apply, however, only those short-listed will be contacted.