We are traditional hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking people. Today, we are a strong, growing community of over 1,300 members. We live on a small portion of our traditional territory, known as the Musqueam Indian Reserve, located south of Marine Drive near the mouth of the Fraser River. The name Musqueam relates back to the River Grass, the name of the grass is məθkʷəy̓. There is a story that has been passed on from generation to generation that explains how we became known as the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) – People of the River Grass. We have always moved throughout our territory using the resources it provides for fishing, hunting, trapping and gathering. We remain distinct and our cultural practices are strong, despite the devastating impacts of residential schools, colonial laws banning our ceremonies, and other attempts to assimilate our people. Our lands and waters continue to support our cultural and economic practices while serving as a source of knowledge and memory, encoded with our teachings and laws. To learn more about Musqueam, please visit www.musqueam.bc.ca
Musqueam Indian Band is seeking a Finance Manager. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this position is responsible for the overall management of the Musqueam’s accounting functions. This includes supervision of the Finance Department. This role also plans, manages, monitors and controls all financial management functions and provides professional oversight to the Finance Department. In addition, this role participates in various Band committees and advises the CFO and committees of financial issues that impact decision making.
WHAT WE OFFER
Our success as a leader in First Nations Government that is built on the traditional teachings of our people, and the initiatives and dedication of the Musqueam Nation. Providing a highly engaged traditional government that is member focused.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical and dental benefits
- Flexible work schedule in a business casual environment
- Professional development and training program
- Centrally located with free parking, free onsite gym and class access, close to nature, trails at UBC and along the Fraser River, shops, restaurants and services
- Oversees the following accounting functions and provides support as required:
- · Full cycle accounting including maintaining accurate books and records and accounting for all financial items on a daily basis
- · Monthly, quarterly and annual reporting, month-end and year-end close and audit processes
- · All financial reporting and ensuring that financial statements are prepared in accordance with Canadian public sector accounting standards o Day to day banking and cash management operations
- · Ensures all financial reporting is completed in full and within specified time frames to meet obligations specified within funding agreements
- · Participates in the development and support of Musqueam’ strategic plans
- · Oversees the payroll and benefit processing, payroll reporting and filings
- · Assists with and provides information for external audit preparations
- · Manages day-to-day supervision of finance team
- · Recommends, implements and controls all policies and procedures related to financial and general administrative functions
- · Provides support as required to:
- o IT support functions
- o Negotiating, purchase, and disposal of office equipment, supplies and service contracts
- o Project management for special projects (i.e. dividend and distribution, RFP processes)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Cultural competency and knowledge of the cultural traditions and practices of the Musqueam Nation is an asset
- High level of business acumen and strong analytical and decision making skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage priorities and deliver on timelines
- Ability to build and maintain strong cross-functional working relationships and liaise with diverse stakeholder groups
- Effective leadership skills with ability to develop teams and build team capabilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
TRAINING, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE
- · Professional accounting designation with minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar role
- · Advanced skills in MS Office and AccPac/Sage 300 and other related accounting software
- · Working knowledge of public sector accounting standards
- · First Nations administration and/or accounting experience is an asset
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Work takes place primarily in an office environment. Occasional evening work.
Please send cover letter and resume to Musqueam Indian Band, HR, at:
Please write “Finance Manager” on the subject line.
Applicants of Musqueam and/or Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.
* We thank all who apply; however, only those short-listed will be