The Musqueam people have lived in our present location for thousands of years. Our traditional territory once occupied much of what is now Vancouver and surrounding areas. The name Musqueam relates back to the River Grass, the name of the grass is məθkʷəy̓. There is a story that has been passed on from generation to generation that explains how we became known as the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) – People of the River Grass.
Although a metropolitan city has developed in the heart of Musqueam territory, our community maintains strong cultural and traditional beliefs. Today our population flourishes and we are a strong community of over thousand members. To learn more about Musqueam, please visit www.musqueam.bc.ca
Musqueam Indian Band is seeking a Finance Manager. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this position is responsible for the overall management of the Musqueam’s accounting functions. This includes supervision of the Finance Department. This role also plans, manages, monitors and controls all financial management functions and provides professional oversight to the Finance Department. In addition, this role participates in various Band committees and advises the CFO and committees of financial issues that impact decision making.
- Oversees the following accounting functions and provides support as required:
- Full cycle accounting including maintaining accurate books and records and accounting for all financial items on a daily basis
- Monthly, quarterly and annual reporting, month-end and year-end close and audit processes
- All financial reporting and ensuring that financial statements are prepared in accordance with Canadian public sector accounting standards
- Day to day banking and cash management operations
- Ensures all financial reporting is completed in full and within specified time frames to meet obligations specified within funding agreements
- Participates in the development and support of Musqueam’ strategic plans
- Oversees the payroll and benefit processing, payroll reporting and filings
- Assists with and provides information for external audit preparations
- Manages day-to-day supervision of finance team
- Recommends, implements and controls all policies and procedures related to financial and general administrative functions
- Provides support as required to:
- IT support functions
- Negotiating, purchase, and disposal of office equipment, supplies and service contracts
- Project management for special projects (i.e. dividend and distribution, RFP processes)
- Professional accounting designation with minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar role
- Advanced skills in MS Office and AccPac/Sage 300 and other related accounting software
- Working knowledge of public sector accounting standards
- First Nations administration and/or accounting experience is an asset
- Cultural competency and knowledge of the cultural traditions and practices of the Musqueam Nation is an asset
- High level of business acumen and strong analytical and decision making skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage priorities and deliver on timelines
- Ability to build and maintain strong cross-functional working relationships and liaise with diverse stakeholder groups
- Effective leadership skills with ability to develop teams and build team capabilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Please email cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
and reference “Finance Manager” on the subject line
Applicants of Musqueam and/or Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.
* We thank all those who apply, however, only those short-listed will be contacted.