Musqueam’s Comprehensive Community Plan (CCP), nəc̓əmat tə šxʷqʷeləwən ct (We Are of One Heart and Mind), was approved by Musqueam Chief and Council in 2011. The Community Plan provides leadership, administration, and membership with direction and guidance on community development. Musqueam updated this plan in 2018, using results from a monitoring & evaluation initiative and extensive community engagement. The planning team works with cross-departmental program leads and staff to promote and implement the updated plan and to support community engagement and other planning-related initiatives. The Planning Assistant reports to the Community Planner, with functional oversight provided by the Manager, Policy & Communications.
The Planning Assistant supports the planning team and other MIB departments with strategic planning initiatives and community engagement, particularly related to the CCP. This position also contributes to the development, implementation and evaluation of research and planning, policies, and communications strategies in support of cross-organizational decision-making and the implementation of CCP priorities across all of Musqueam’s cultural and business operations.
- Collaboratively develop and implement community engagement strategies in support of MIB’s Comprehensive Community Plan and other key initiatives
- Assist in the conceptualization, writing, and design of various reports, briefings, informational materials, and other communications materials
- Conduct community outreach and facilitate group engagements, including leading or contributing to discussions, supporting / making presentations, soliciting ideas, and recording feedback regarding both internal and external projects/initiatives
- Conduct research, compile and analyze qualitative & quantitative information related to social and physical planning and development
- Assist with the development and implementation of planning policies & procedures
- Other duties, as required.
- A post-secondary degree in Community Planning, Urban Planning, and/or a related field and minimum 2 years community planning and engagement experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
Skills and Abilities
- Respectful and clear oral/ written communicator
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Self-initiative – demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Demonstrated cultural competency, including familiarity with Musqueam community and our cultural traditions.
- Knowledge of Musqueam’s Comprehensive Community Plan (CCP), nəc̓əmat tə šxʷqʷeləwən ct (We Are of One Heart and Mind) and hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ ct language is a strong asset
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated proficiency with design software (including Adobe Creative Suite) is a strong asset
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality
- Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule (which may include occasional evenings and weekends) to accommodate community engagement and meetings
- Work is performed in the office and out in the community, located on the Musqueam reserve in southwest Vancouver
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required
- A Criminal Record Check satisfactory to MIB must be completed
- Must sign confidentiality covenant
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to [email protected] and include “Planning Assistant” in the subject line.
Posting will remain open until filled.
Applicants of Musqueam and/or Indigenous ancestry are encouraged to apply.
* We thank all those who apply, however, only those short-listed will be contacted.