MIB is hiring for a full-time and a part time Safe Home Residence Worker. The schedule is Friday – Tuesday, working the evening or night shifts (4:30 pm – 12:30 am OR 12:30 am – 8:30 am.).
This position is responsible for providing care for the children in the home, while supporting parents and extended family through a process of education, and personal development and the acquisition of parenting skills needed to develop healthy and safe children.
The Musqueam Indian Band Safe Home is a culturally-focused place of safety for children who are considered at risk of physical, sexual and or emotional abuse as a result of poor parenting skills/poverty/neglect or because of drug/alcohol issues. It is also a place of change for parents and families in need of help and support.
• Perform household chores and general maintenance of the Safe Home
• Comply with program policies and procedures, and expectations for professional behavior and conduct.
• Maintain a thorough knowledge of community and resources.
• Keep daily/monthly written reports, and complete incident reports as directed.
• Maintain a commitment to provide care that meets the nutritional, emotional, cultural, physical, and recreational needs of individual children in the home.
• Work closely with parents and supervisor to ensure the overall needs and well-being of the children are being met.
• Provide appropriate care for each client with respect to his or her individual needs.
• Attend and actively participate in staff meetings and agency training, as needed.
• Other duties as required.
Skills and Abilities
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to communicate with children, parents, coworkers and supervisor
• Positive interpersonal and social skills with the ability to provide a positive role model to clients and families
• Good time management and organizational skills
• Ability to understand a team approach
• Ability to follow direction to implement programs and planning for clients
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Skill and knowledge usually attained by successful completion of High School or BC Dogwood Diploma or an equivalent combination of skill, knowledge and experience in working with children and families
• Experience and or knowledge of Musqueam First Nations People, their culture and history.
• Successful completion of Food Safe Management (preferred)
• Current First Aid and CPR Certificate (preferred)
• Free of Alcohol/Drug Addictions and misuse
• Work is performed in the Safe Home with families and children
• Working hours may include day, evening or overnight shifts, including weekends and over the Christmas season
• Successful criminal records check and Vulnerable Sector Check
• Sign a Confidentiality Agreement
• Valid class 5 BC Drivers’ License and clear driving abstract
Please apply by emailing a cover letter and resume to HR @ [email protected]
Please write “Safe Home Residence Worker” on the subject line
Applicants of Musqueam and/or Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply.
Application deadline is February 20, 2020. Position will remain open until filled.
We thank all applicants for applying; however, only those short-listed will be contacted.