School Bus Supervisor
We are traditional hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking people. Today, we are a strong, growing community of over 1,300 members. We live on a small portion of our traditional territory, known as the Musqueam Indian Reserve, located south of Marine Drive near the mouth of the Fraser River. The name Musqueam relates back to the River Grass, the name of the grass is məθkʷəy̓. There is a story that has been passed on from generation to generation that explains how we became known as the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) – People of the River Grass. We have always moved throughout our territory using the resources it provides for fishing, hunting, trapping and gathering. We remain distinct and our cultural practices are strong, despite the devastating impacts of residential schools, colonial laws banning our ceremonies, and other attempts to assimilate our people. Our lands and waters continue to support our cultural and economic practices while serving as a source of knowledge and memory, encoded with our teachings and laws. To learn more about Musqueam, please visit www.musqueam.bc.ca.
What we offer
Our success as a leader in a First Nations Government that is built on the traditional teachings of our people, initiative and dedication of the Musqueam Indian Band. Providing a highly engaged traditional government that is member focused.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical and dental benefits
- Flexible work schedule in a business casual environment
- Professional development and training program
- Centrally located with free parking, free onsite gym and class access, close to nature, trails at UBC and along the Fraser River, shops, restaurants and services
Musqueam Indian Band (Musqueam) is seeking a School Bus Supervisor. Reporting to the Education Manager, the School Bus Supervisor provides supervision of all students while on the Musqueam Indian Band School Bus.
· Supervise children age 5-12 to and from school (Monday to Friday)
- Maintain a safe and orderly environment on bus
- Act as a positive role model and influence for schoolchildren and the community
- Prevent bullying and other acts
- Liaise with bus driver and schools to ensure all children are accounted for and not left behind
- Ensures the health and safety of all children
- Performs other duties as required
Qualification and Skills
- Experience working with children and/or related field and experience
- Exceptional interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work in an independent and flexible environment
- Cultural competency and knowledge of the Musqueam’s cultural traditions is preferred
- Work is performed in an outdoor environment
- May be required to work flexible hours
- Successful Criminal Record Check
Please email cover letter and resume to [email protected]
and reference “School Bus Supervisor” in the subject line.
Applicants of Musqueam and/or Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.
* We thank all applicants for applying; however, only those short-listed will be contacted.