Learning Facilitator13 Sep 2018
Full Time Temporary (13-month Term) Position
The Musqueam people have lived in our present location for thousands of years. Our traditional territory once occupied much of what is now Vancouver and surrounding areas. The name Musqueam relates back to the River Grass, the name of the grass is məθkʷəy̓. There is a story that has been passed on from generation to generation that explains how we became known as the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) – People of the River Grass. Although a metropolitan city has developed in the heart of Musqueam territory, our community maintains strong cultural and traditional beliefs. Today our population flourishes and we are a strong community of over thousand members. To learn more about Musqueam, please visit www.musqueam.bc.ca.
Musqueam Indian Band (Musqueam) is seeking a Learning Facilitator. This position will be responsible for facilitating the success of Aboriginal learners. The Learning Facilitator will establish networks of support with learners, parents and Elders to provide students with a sense of purpose, place and identity. This position also enhances, plans and provides students with direct support services. The role is a full-time temporary position to fill a Leave of Absence position with a 13-month duration.
- Coordinate and participate in Committee network planning with Elders, parents, student leaders and post-secondary institution Aboriginal Coordinators
- Plan extra-curricular activities and social inclusion learning projects that support student learning
- Work in partnership with Aboriginal Coordinators to develop Learning Facilitator resources and increase Aboriginal student support
- Network with schools and communities through site visits and presentations
- Propose and implement recommendations on funding partnerships, training and opportunities to leverage community support
- Develop handbooks for learners and parents
- Conducts research on career path planning and occupational market trends
- Inform Committee Elders of Aboriginal learner career plans
- Create Learner Recognition motivation program to encourage student engagement and career path planning
- Liaise with faculty and staff to enhance teacher relations with Aboriginal learners
- Tutor and provide basic support to students in the MIB Adult Basic Education Program
- Performs related duties as required
Qualification and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or an equivalent combination of education and learning facilitator experience is preferred
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills with the ability to work under pressure and independently
- Self-motivated individual with strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and complete deliverables
- Familiarity and knowledge MS Office software
- Ability to work flexible hours as required
- Knowledge and experience of Musqueam or First Nations culture and history is a strong asset
- Work is performed in an office environment and occasionally in the community
- Valid Driver’s License is required
- Successful Criminal Record Check
Please email cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
and reference “Learning Facilitator” in the subject line.
Applicants of Musqueam and/or Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.
* We thank all those who apply, however, only those short-listed will be contacted.