nə́ c̓ aʔmat ct – We Are All One
Musqueam Indian Band’s Council and Administration take pride in working hard to create welcoming, safe spaces for community members, staff and guests in our territory.
We have zero-tolerance for offensive, intimidating or humiliating behaviour, bullying, lateral violence and any similar behaviours.
We believe that everyone has the right to be treated in a fair and respectful manner. It is our collective priority to work each day towards respectful interactions and relationships, whether it’s in-person, on the internet or through any other platform.
In this regard, we reflect on nə́ c̓ aʔmat ct, one of Musqueam’s core legal principles, which generally means that we are all one, that all is connected.
This important teaching asks each of us to work together in the spirit of collaboration and co-existence. We ask you to join us in these efforts to create and maintain a safe and welcoming community that we can all be proud of, which best reflects our law of .
We have approved new community guidelines that directly apply nə́ c̓ aʔmat ct to all participation on all of Musqueam’s social media platforms.
To ensure that all community members are aware of the participation requirements set out in these the Social Media Community Guidelines are provided below.
– Musqueam Chief and Council
A Community of Respect:
Musqueam’s Social Media Community Guidelines
Musqueam has established various social media accounts for the purpose of conveying information, to connect with one another and to facilitate the exchange of ideas. On our platforms we seek to foster an inclusive and safe space for users to connect.
In this regard, we have developed the Musqueam Indian Band’s Social Media Community Guidelines (“Social Media Guidelines”) to provide rules of conduct for all participation on our social media accounts. We encourage all who participate on our social media accounts to become familiar with these Social Media Guidelines and adhere to them as you navigate the different platforms.
Please note that if you post to one of our social media channels, or otherwise respond or comment on one of our posts, you are agreeing to abide by the Social Media Guidelines.
If you do not abide by these Social Media Guidelines, your comments or posts may be hidden or deleted. Any comment or post which we deem to be criminal in nature, or which instigate or imply criminal activity or violence toward oneself or another may be reported to the appropriate authorities.
As we implement these important Social Media Guidelines, we welcome your constructive feedback and input.
As xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) people, we hold sacred sniw̓ (teachings) and practices which are part of who we are. Our sniw̓ have persevered because of the wisdom and resilience of our ancestors, and our intrinsic connection to our lands and waters.
Our sniw̓ are expressed in our šxʷtəhim̓ (manners and customs), in our day-to-day interactions, and in the respect we show to each other and to our work on behalf of our people.
An important element of our sniw̓ is to take care of each other, to come together and hold one another up, even when we disagree.
One of Musqueam’s core legal principles, nə́ c̓ aʔmat ct, generally means that we are all one, that all is connected. This important teaching asks each of us to work together in the spirit of collaboration and co-existence.
In the spirit of nə́ c̓ aʔmat ct, MIB strives to create informative, engaging and supportive social media forums where we can share information and have meaningful dialogue.
As such, please be advised that Musqueam will not tolerate, and reserves the right to hide or delete any posts or comments on our social media platforms that in our view are:
- socially insensitive
- discriminatory either explicitly or by implication, which promote hate or seek to diminish or ridicule a person or group of persons
- racist, xenophobic, homophobic, sexist, or otherwise vulgar in nature
- emotionally or physically threatening
- disruptive to the community
- promoting non-healthy or illegal activity
- Be respectful: be respectful of the rights and views of others, be willing to agree to disagree and move on.
- Focus on the topic: keep posts and comments focused on topic under discussion and value add. Avoid redirecting the dialogue through comments focused on personal or character attacks.
- Avoid inappropriate images and language: avoid resorting to promoting hateful speech, use of profanity, vulgarity and images depicting pornography and nudity.
- Private contact information & details: Keep your private contact information and other such details out of your posts. If MIB requires this information we will request it from you by use of official means, not through social media sites.
- No privacy on social media: remember that typically, posts and comments on public feeds and accounts are not private (unless otherwise indicated). Remember any information you share on a public social media site or feed may be stored and accessed at any time, so please do not post anything that you do not want others to see or know about.
Everyone accessing our social media accounts has the right to feel safe, comfortable and enjoy engaging and connecting on social media.
Be respectful of others at all times, have fun and stay safe!
Please be advised that MIB reserves the right to ban any user from our pages without prior written notice or consent for violations of our Social Media Guidelines.
Posts and comments expressed on MIB social media accounts belong to the individual, respective contributors only and do not represent the views, policies or positions of the Musqueam Indian Band.
MIB is not responsible for unanswered posts on social media platforms, or for inaccurate information posted by other individuals.