Safety & Security Patrol31 Aug 2018
Safety & Security Patrol
The Musqueam people have lived in our present location for thousands of years. Our traditional territory once occupied much of what is now Vancouver and surrounding areas. The name Musqueam relates back to the River Grass, the name of the grass is məθkʷəy̓. There is a story that has been passed on from generation to generation that explains how we became known as the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) – People of the River Grass. Although a metropolitan city has developed in the heart of Musqueam territory, our community maintains strong cultural and traditional beliefs. Today our population flourishes and we are a strong community of over thousand members. To learn more about Musqueam, please visit www.musqueam.bc.ca.
The Musqueam Indian Band (MIB) Safety & Security Patrol Officer is responsible for ensuring the day-to-day safety and security of residents, visitors and employees by patrolling and monitoring the buildings, lands and equipment of the Musqueam community. Under the direction of the Safety & Security Manager, the Safety & Security Patrol provides a professional, visible and proactive point of contact for the community. This position is responsible for developing trust and positive relationships with community residents, responding to incidents to provide support and intervention, and may be the first point of contact for individuals in crisis. The Patrol Officer is also a point of contact for external partners, such as Vancouver Police Department (VPD) and Emergency Services and other agencies.
- · Ensure a safe and secure environment by conducting patrols of property, buildings and equipment
- · Engage and communicate with community residents to build trust and respect
- · Respond to crisis, emergency and routine situations as appropriate
- · Notify and provide investigative support to VPD, Emergency Services and other external agencies as needed
- · Assist community members and refer them to community support programs
- · Prepare daily reports and debrief with cross-over shift
- · Document suspicious activities, interactions and outcomes, surveillance activities, notable observations, and other relevant information
- · Observe and identify signs of crime, unlawful activity and disorder
- · Coordinate with Safety & Security Female Support Worker when dealing with intoxicated females
- · Report emergency situations to the Safety & Security Manager
- · Attend and participate in Safety & Security training activities and meetings
- · Performs related duties as required
Qualification and Skills
- Completion of secondary school and 1+ years of related experience in security, corrections or social welfare
- Completion of Basic Security Training with a valid Justice Institute Security License
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certificate with AED certificate
- Previous training and familiarity with Naloxone
- Class 5 Driver’s License is required for vehicle patrols
- Experience working in partnership with VPD, Emergency Services and other local agencies is an asset
- Extensive knowledge of public safety and security procedures and protocol
- Ability to manage stressful situations and respond to crisis situations with tact and diplomacy
- Familiarity with emergency response techniques and awareness of best practices for handling aggressive individuals
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.)
- Basic reporting writing skills and ability to maintain accurate records
- Exemplary conflict-resolution and mediation skills when handling conflict and crisis situations
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to establish and maintain successful and effective relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail in observing and identifying criminal activity
- Diplomatic application of judgement when dealing with sensitive situations
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality
- Compliance with Musqueam Safety and Security’s Standard Operating Procedures
- Work is performed in Musqueam community and surrounding Musqueam lands with occasional office work
- Some evenings, weekends and holidays may be required
- Successful Criminal Record Check
Please email cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
and reference “Safety & Security Patrol Officer” in the subject line.
Applicants of Musqueam and/or Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.
* We thank all those who apply, however, only those short-listed will be contacted.