Musqueam’s education department seeks to maximize the personal academic success of Musqueam members and promote inclusive personal development in education. We strive to make a positive difference in the lives of our students, and use Musqueam culture in programming wherever possible.
The department is committed to supporting, teaching and caring for a diverse group of children, who in turn will learn, reflect and care for themselves and others as they prepare for their futures.
What Musqueam Education can help you with
As a department, Musqueam Education is responsible for administering elementary, high school, and post-secondary education for Musqueam students living on reserve or away from home.
Assisting with school placements
- Arranging tuition for elementary, high school, post-secondary education
- Liaising between elementary, secondary, and post-secondary institutions
- Liaising with the Vancouver School Board, First Nations Education Steering Committee and other organizations
- Meeting and advising students, cheque processing, daily administrative tasks
- Liaising with First Nations support workers
- Providing support to students and parents and liaising between schools and parents
- Tutors for elementary and high school
- Address the learning needs of each unique individual
- Inspire participation in our youths’ education
Latest updates from Musqueam Education
Back to school 2021
September school cheques
- Elementary and high school cheques are available for pick up at the band office
- Post-Secondary will remain direct deposit
Musqueam school bus
This information is necessary to make sure the children on the bus are safe and parents can be contacted in case of emergency.
Parents of Musqueam students requiring tutoring for the 2021 school year can contact Musqueam Education for support.
Back to school: Southlands Elementary School
All VSB elementary schools, including Southlands, will have afternoon dismissal at 3:05pm this year to allow students a longer morning recess.
- September 17th: Pro-d day (no school)
- September 30th: National Day for Truth and Reconciliation (no school)
Scholarships and bursaries
UBC Musqueam Scholarship
Musqueam First Nation students at the University of British Columbia can apply to the UBC Musqueam Scholarship. This award was created to acknowledge the strong relationship between UBC and Musqueam.
Eligible Musqueam students must be studying at the University of British Columbia in their undergraduate, post baccalaureate, or graduate studies.
The award is valued up to $5,500 annually and renewable for up to 4 years.
Recipients will have demonstrated academic and leadership achievements and be selected on their ability to demonstrate their openness to continuing to learn who they are, where they come from, and their responsibility in enriching and carrying knowledge forward in their community and the world.
Application deadline: September 20, 2021 (11:59 PM PT).
For more information about the award or to apply, please email [email protected]
ḴEL,ḴELOŦEN ȻE S,ISTEW̱ Education Fund
ḴEL,ḴELOŦEN ȻE S,ISTEW̱ Education Fund is inviting all Indigenous, First Nations, Inuit and Métis students pursuing careers in architecture and engineering to apply.
- Award: $5,000.
- Application deadline: September 31, 2021
If you were included in the 2021 Musqueam Graduation Celebration and haven’t yet picked up your gift, please contact the department to make arrangements.
High school graduates of 2021: you may be eligible for a Musqueam Education Award! Apply by sending a copy of your Dogwood Certificate and final BC of Ministry of Education transcripts to the education department.
Contact Faye or April at the education department for more information.