Musqueam Archaeology is dedicated to ensuring respectful management of Musqueam heritage through:
- participation in archaeological projects in Musqueam territory;
- operating a successful archaeological consultancy; and
- establishing Musqueam sovereignty over heritage resources.
We also aim to provide intergenerational programming, archaeological support to other community efforts, and career path training and educational support for community members.
To ensure the respectful, ethical, and safe management of Musqueam’s cultural heritage for current, past, and future generations. We aim to sustainably and accountably support the community in the protection of Musqueam’s cultural heritage.
Who we are
xʷməθkʷəy̓əm Archaeology Department is a dedicated team of archaeologists working within the Title and Rights Division of Musqueam’s administration. Our team members are highly skilled and experienced staff who work together and support each other and the broader community.
What We Do
We are a comprehensive archaeology service provider with the goal of supporting the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm community with our work.
The archaeology department is divided into two branches:
- The first branch works to protect Musqueam’s title and rights.
- The second branch takes on consulting contracts for outside clients and proponents.
More information about the two branches of the archaeology department is provided below.
Branch #1: Protect Musqueam’s Title and Rights
Working together with other departments in Musqueam’s title and rights division, Musqueam’s archaeology department protects and manages heritage (archaeological) resources.
Among many other things, our responsibilities include:
- Review of Musqueam Heritage Research/Investigation Permits applications for any archaeological works in xʷməθkʷəy̓əm territory
- Review and response to project referrals
- Participation in various advisory and technical tables
- Provision of project feedback and guidance for all projects in Musqueam territory with the potential to impact Musqueam’s Title and Rights
- Participate in discussions with various levels of government and other First Nations to facilitate ethical and respectful heritage management
- Ensure xʷməθkʷəy̓əm in-field representation on all archaeological projects through our Archaeological Field Technician program
- Participation in public outreach and education, meeting with and presenting to schools, industry, and the general public.
Branch #2: Archaeological Consulting Services
Musqueam’s archaeology department provides archaeological services throughout xʷməθkʷəy̓əm territory. These projects are typically housing-related (construction, demolition), park upgrades (resurfacing trails, fencing), municipal works, planting and/or vegetation removal, bridge upgrades, dredging, road repairs, upgrades, expansion, and building.
The types of services that we provide are dependent on the project type, extent, location but include:
- Archaeological assessments (AOA, AIA, PFR, archaeological reviews)
- Archaeological permitting (HCA and First Nations)
- Ground Penetrating Radar
- Lithic Provenance (though partner consultant GeoArchaeo)
- Guidance through archaeological process
We are selective about the types of projects we take on and look for clients who are passionate about working with us to respectfully protect and manage heritage resources. If that sounds like you and you have a project in need of archaeological services, please email us at [email protected].
Contact us at [email protected]