The objectives of Musqueam Fisheries are to:
- ensure community confidence and respect through clearly defined policy framework;
- improve relationships with external partners;
- enhance safety and security of Aboriginal Fisheries Offices (AFO);
- enhance stewardship role to protect our lands and waters; and
- strive for open and transparent communication with community.
What we do
- Protect and enhance the inherent fishing rights of Musqueam, consistent with the Sparrow Supreme Court ruling.
- Ensure aquatic resource protection through consultation and negotiation with the Department of Fisheries and adjacent First Nation communities.
- Perform fisheries management cooperatively with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
- Responsible for monitoring, reporting, and ensuring compliance with regulations.
- Engage in economic development by examining fish sale opportunities and other species allocation transfers, creating business partnerships with the Tla’amin and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, and conducting employee training.
- Update policies and procedures to improve performance in a complex and changing environment.
Laura Sparrow, Manager
Request to join the private Musqueam Fisheries Facebook Group.
The fisheries and environmental stewardship departments make up the Musqueam Natural Resources Service Group. Watch the video below to learn more.