Three Site Concepts
This page has information related to the second presentation video that accompanied the community survey that was open from August 20 – September 7, 2020.
Concepts A, B & C
The team has developed three site concept strategies that we are seeking your feedback on.
- Concept A includes three stand-alone buildings for the daycare, townhomes and apartments.
- Concept B includes two buildings, one for the daycare of most of the apartments, and another one for the townhomes and additional apartments.
- Concept C includes two buildings, with the daycare and apartment buildings co-located on the North side of the site and townhomes located on the South side of the site.
Concept A includes three separate buildings. Parking is provided underground and above ground throughout the site.
Here is a diagram of Concept A
- Daycare – purple building on the north side
- Townhomes – yellow building located off a new proposed lane
- Apartment building – orange building on the south side
The pros of Concept A:
- it can be built in three separate phases, which is more cost-effective for construction, and enables a phased approach to opening the buildings
- out of the three options, it has the most amount of green space
- it allows each building to be clearly defined, creating the feeling of a ‘village’ and community amongst residents
- and it simplifies funding arrangements, as the housing and the childcare receive separate funding packages
The con on Concept A include:
- the south side of the site having the higher building and higher density
Here, the purple is the daycare, yellow is townhomes, and a four-storey apartment building is shown in orange.
Concept B includes two buildings. On the north side, the orange apartments are located in the same building as the childcare facility, which is purple.
On the south side is more apartments, also in orange, which are located on the third and fourth floors, above the townhomes. The townhomes have entrances off the street, and the apartment building has a separate entry.
Two parkades would be built for this concept, and there is above ground parking, but limited compared to Option A.
Pros for Concept B:
- it’s built in two phases,
- the townhomes provide excellent street presence and a residential scale on that side of the site.
- there is opportunity for communal rooftop amenity space above the child care centre
Cons of Concept B:
- it’s a large-scale mixed-use apartment in childcare centre building,
- there are two dense areas of massing,
- there are two parkades to provide enough parking for both buildings
- overall, because the buildings take up a lot of the site area, there is limited open space.
Here is another view of Concept B, showing two apartment buildings in orange, one connected to the daycare building which is purple, and the other with townhomes at the ground floor shown in yellow.
Concept C also includes two buildings. Similar to Concept B, the apartment building and childcare centre would be connected in one building on the north side of the site. However in this option the townhomes would be on the south side are stand alone townhomes. The difference is that all of the apartments are located in the north side, instead of being split into two buildings.
This concept provides two levels of density, one a mid-rise the apartment building and the second a low rise the townhomes.
Pros of Concept C:
- it provides the most number of townhomes
- the project is built in two phases and provides rooftop amenity space over the childcare centre.
- While it provides lower density on the South side of the site and makes it feel like it has a more residential context.
Cons of Concept C:
- On the north side, the floor plate is smaller for the apartment building, resulting in more density and a higher building in order to achieved the desired amount of housing units in the apartment building
Here is another view of Concept C, with a six-story orange apartment building located together with the purple daycare and three-story townhomes at the south side of the site.
Summary of three concepts
To summarize, the three concepts each provide a different opportunity.
Concept A creates a village, it provides maximum amount of greenspace, and enables the project to be built in three phases. It enables clear funding packages and overall, and we consider it to be the most neighborly of the site options.
In Concept B the apartment building on the north overlooks the neighboring residence. The apartment building combines housing in the daycare on one side and then it combines the townhomes and apartment buildings on the other side of the site.
Concept C has the most townhomes, it provides underground parking on two sides of the site, the north apartment building overlooks existing homes and it combines housing in daycare programs.