Musqueam Council Election & Distribution
on NOVEMBER 30, 2020
This page has updated information about the upcoming Musqueam Chief and Council election and Christmas distribution to members.
Musqueam Election 2020
Monday, November 30 — 9am to 8pm
Musqueam Gymnasium (6777 Salish Drive)
- All Musqueam members who are 18 years or older as of November 30, 2020 are eligible to vote in this election for one Chief and ten Councillors.
- Mail-in ballots can be dropped off in person on November 30. Ballots received after polls close are not counted under the First Nations Election Act. See below for more information.
COVID-19 safety protocols will be strictly enforced: wear a mask, bring your own pen, maintain distance from others, and wash your hands before entering the community centre.
Please keep Musqueam safe by not visiting with others on voting day. We know this will be extremely difficult, but many Elders and other vulnerable members will vote in-person on Monday, and we need to ensure everyone in our community remains COVID-free.
OneFeather is organizing this election and have been the Electoral Officers for previous Musqueam elections. If you have any questions, please contact any of the below people.
Mail-in ballots must be received before voting closes
Under the First Nation Election Act (FNEA), all eligible voters who want to vote by mail-in ballot MUST request a mail-in ballot package from the Electoral Officer. As with all past elections, mail-in ballot packages must be received by the Electoral Officer prior to the poll closing (November 30th – 8:00pm) to be counted. Mail-in ballot packages received after the close of the poll will not be counted or recorded.
Your mail-in ballot package can be mailed or hand delivered at the poll by the elector or their designate. Only properly sealed mail-in ballot packages will be accepted by the Electoral Officer if delivered in person.
One Feather can make no assurances regarding Canada Post deliver schedules or the impacts that Covid-19 pandemic is having on their ability to ensure the reasonable and timely delivery of mail. Please contact Jocelyn Campbell-Axsom if you are concerned about your ballot not being received.
Electors are encouraged to take those steps necessary to their satisfaction to ensure their mail-in ballot package is delivered to the Electoral Officer prior to the close of the poll (November 30th – 8:00pm).
Please also note, under the FNEA electronic voting is not permitted.
This year, to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission, picking up cheques in-person was only available by request.
If you submitted a form to pick up your cheque:
Look for MIB staff at the white tents between the office and the gym. Staff will also be onsite to direct members and ensure COVID-19 protocols are followed.
If you did not submit a form requesting to pick up your cheque in person:
Please maintain our staff’s safety by not approaching the white tents to request your cheque. It will not be there.
hay ce:p q̓ə to everyone for keeping #MusqueamStrong
COVID-19 Safety Protocols for Election and Distribution Day
COVID-19 safety protocols must be followed at all times.
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before entering.
- Wear a mask. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided to you.
- Maintain physical distance from other people (6 – 10 ft.).
- Bring a pen, or a clean pen will be provided.
- Please exit the facility as soon as you have completed voting or picking up your cheque.
Due to these safety protocols, voting may take longer than usual. Please be patient and fully cooperate with staff.
- Election notices and forms: OneFeather – Musqueam election webpage
- Official candidates list for Musqueam Chief and Council election 2020
- Notice of Election and Nomination Meeting (September 30, 2020)